Lead Paint

Lead was an additive put into paints and varnishes prior 1980 which poses considerable health risks particularly to children and pregnant women.

Lead paint is found in many homes built prior to 1980 and is a real and significant health hazard. Lead does not have to be ingested to be hazardous, it can also be absorbed through the skin or inhaled in dust form. Children and pregnant women are the most at risk to lead poisoning.

The experts at Asbex Environmental Contractors are trained to safely contain and remove lead contaminated materials. Contact us today for consultation and a free estimate.

More about Lead Paint

Seventy-four percent (74%) of all private homes built before 1980 contain lead paint. The risk of lead paint poisoning increases dramatically if lead paint is removed improperly.

HEALTH RISKS
Lead poisoning can cause serious illness, especially in children. Children can be exposed to lead by breathing lead dust or eating chips of old paint that contain lead. Exposure can also occur through dermal contact (touching) surfaces that contain lead.

The long term effects of lead on a child can be severe. They include learning disabilities, decreased growth, hyperactivity, impaired hearing, and even brain damage. If caught early, these effects can be limited by reducing
exposure to lead or by medical treatment.

If you are pregnant avoid exposing yourself to lead. Lead can pass through your body to your baby.

THE INVISIBLE HAZARD
Extremely small amounts of lead paint in the form of dust (left after a renovation project) or tiny pieces of lead paint slowly flaking from the walls and woodwork, are all it takes to contaminate an entire home. You and your family could be absorbing dangerous levels of lead by transferring this invisible dust from your hands to your mouth and by breathing it in.

POSSIBLE LOCATIONS OF LEAD PAINT
Any painted surface in a home built before 1980, may contain lead paint. Specifically, surfaces such as wood windows and doors, baseboards, trim and mouldings are often coated with lead paint. The coatings and varnish used on hard wood floors often contains lead. In recent years, examples of lead based paint have been found on children’s toys and dishes manufactured overseas.

IDENTIFICATION
There are several testing methods, from small home test-kits to having the paint sample analyzed in a laboratory. Contact Asbex Environmental to get information on what the best testing method is for you.

HOW TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY
Parents should have their children’s blood tested periodically for elevated lead levels. If the lead level is normal, there’s no cause for alarm. An elevated level means that parents should find the source of the lead that is getting into the child’s bloodstream.

You may also need to have your water supply tested for lead, and to make sure there are no dishes with lead-based glazes, or foreign-made toys that may be coated with lead-based paints, in your home.

Families have been poisoned by scraping or sanding lead paint; these activities generate large amounts of lead dust. Lead dust from repairs or renovations of older buildings can remain in the building long after the work is completed. Heating lead paint may release lead into the air.

Lead paint removal is not a do-it-yourself project, contact an experienced environmental contractor.

Latest News

Asbex

Asbex is a leading Canadian environmental contractor. We pride ourselves on being the region's best and most respected company when it comes to the management of hazardous materials.

Subscribe

Enter your email address to have our news sent directly to your inbox: